Have you ever felt nervous before a presentation in front of a large crowd? Or have you felt your stomach drop anxiously from being up high, because you’re afraid of heights? You have likely experienced various moments in life where you feel nervous or anxious!
I have become an expert on calming anxiety and “the nerves”. Why? I was surrounded by nervous temperaments as a kid. I saw how my family’s voices would escalate when they were triggered by one another. If I was anxious about something, I could not get the support that I needed to breathe through it or feel comforted because my family did not know how to do this. When I had my own children, I learned that I needed to be an anchor for them when they experienced elevated levels of anxiety. However, I needed to learn how to calm myself first, and quickly! I discovered many ways to tackle this; yoga, martial arts including tai chi and qi gong, therapy, reading, and connecting with those who could enrich me spiritually and emotionally.
Are you someone who struggles with anxiety and “the nerves”? According to an article from BetterHelp.com the top 10 signs of anxiety are:
- Excessive Worrying
- Difficulties Sleeping & Restlessness
- Concentration Issues
- Irritability and Tension
- Increased Heart Rate and Palpitations
- Sweating and Hot Flashes
- Trembling and Shaking
- Chest Pains and Shortness of Breath
- Feelings of Terror or Impending Doom
Here are two techniques to help ease your nerves and anxiety.
This list is quite comprehensive, and is very much in the extreme. The good news is that this anxiety and “the nerves” can be situational, which is normal. For instance you could have something nerve-wracking, such as a work or school presentation, on your mind causing restless sleep. The bad news is that there will definitely be situations in life that you have to face while experiencing many or all of the symptoms on this list. But wait – There is more good news! Anxiety and “the nerves” can both be treated. However this is not a one-size-fits-all; there are a variety of techniques you can try. Some techniques may work better than others for you, so do some exploring!
1) FIST AND RELEASE
Approx Time: 20 seconds.
1. Breathe in (through your nose if you can) as you make fists, and raise your shoulders. Breathe out through your mouth as you drop your shoulders and open your fists.
2. Repeat 2 more times.
2) FINGER BREATHING
Approx Time: 3 mins.
1. Bring your thumbs to touch your pointer fingers. Breathe in and breathe out slowly.
2. Bring your thumbs to touch your middle fingers. Breathe in and breathe out slowly.
3. Bring your thumbs to touch your ring fingers. Breathe in and breathe out slowly.
4. Bring your thumbs to touch your pinky fingers. Breathe in and breathe out slowly.
5. Open your palms, breathe in and breathe out slowly while the back of your hands rest on your legs. (repeat 3x times)
When you are first to deal with your anxiety and “the nerves,” you too can be of support to others. If you are seeking support to deal with anxiety and “the nerves”, or you are looking to expand your self-awareness – check out my list of offerings HERE.
I would love to have an exploration or wellness check-in with you to discuss further.